Hungaro Gastro - Budapest Food & Wine Tour – 4 hours
Explore Budapest through its food and wine on our culinary and cultural walking and tasting tour.
Budapest’s most delicious tour! Led by food and wine professionals, this four-hour walking and tasting tour gives a thorough introduction to the cuisine (and wine) of Hungary, and includes generous tastings along the way.
Highlights and Themes
- Overview of Hungarian cuisine through its history, culinary culture, and ingredients
- Traditional side and modern artisan producers and specialty food shops
- Tour of Budapest’s Central Market Hall, with tastings.
- Visits to four or five additional venues during the walk, with tastings.
- Many food tastings at the market, and during the walk at the other locations.
- A taste of a typical Hungarian spirit
- An introduction to Hungarian wine with a tasting of three top-quality local wines.
- Small groups with a private, food/wine-specialized guide.
Current prices and availabilities are published on our online reservation system.online booking
Inclusions: English speaking guide, generous food and drink tastings (enough for lunch!), a bottle of water for each participant, public transport tickets during tour when applicable, many stops for photos and questions.
Exclusions: Entry fees to sights and museums, food and beverages except where noted, transport to the meeting point or from the conclusion point, gratuity/tip.
Please check available dates and times on our online reservation system.
Inside of the main entrance to the Central Market Hall (address: Vámház körút 1-3, Budapest 1093), on the ground floor near the escalators going up.
Central Market Hall on Vámház körút 1-3, IX. Dist. Budapest
Conclusion point: Tour ends at wine bar or cellar just a short walk from the Central Market Hall.
Duration: 4 hours
Exploring Budapest through its food and drinks is the best way to do it! Our food, wine, and cultural walking and tasting tour begins at The Central Market Hall—one of Europe’s largest and most spectacular indoor markets—and continues through the charming nearby neighborhood. Be sure to come with an appetite. You will need it on this tour!
At the Central Market Hall we will begin getting acquainted with Hungarian cuisine through the great variety and abundance of ingredients (which are mostly local and seasonal) on display. We will discuss the history of the building, the culture of eating and drinking in Hungary, and the everyday cooking and eating habits. After tasting a few carefully selected things at the market, we will head out to the surrounding neighborhood and visit a few more places (which could include, depending on the day: a spice shop, a kosher bakery, a coffee house, a candy manufacturer, or an artisan chocolate shop). Lunch will be at a traditional butcher shop, where we will sample a few traditional Hungarian dishes. No day in Budapest is complete without dessert, so we will also visit a traditional patisserie to taste a few cakes. The tour will end with a tasting of three quintessential Hungarian wines. During the tasting your guide will introduce you to the Hungarian wine regions, varietals, and styles. This tour will give you a taste of the traditional side of Hungarian cuisine, as well as the modern artisan producers and specialty food shops of the area.
Our walking tours are small personal groups and generally do not have more than 8 participants, making them interactive and personal and giving you plenty of chances to ask questions.
Dietary Requirements: We try our very best to cater for dietary requirements but due to local food customs we cannot guarantee that this will be possible in all cases. Options for vegetarians, guests with allergies and religious dietary restrictions may be very limited.
Our food walking tour is small personal groups and generally do not have more than 6 to 8 participants, making them interactive and personal and giving you plenty of chances to ask questions and get to know your guide plus hit them up for local tips of where to go and what else to do.
- Infant(s) free up to 2 years, children: 3-12 years half adult price 13 years and older are charged at student price, student rate will require a valid student ID card when joining the tour.
- Participants will need to be fit for light continuous walking, for up to 3 hours.
- Important notice: We try our very best to cater for dietary requirements but due to local food customs we cannot guarantee that this will be possible in all cases. Options for vegetarians, guests with allergies and religious dietary restrictions may be very limited.
- Tour goes in all weather conditions so please dress appropriately. Supplier not responsible for unforeseen delays or accidents.
- Programs cancelled within 72 hours of travel date incur 100% cancellation penalty where no refunds are given. No show or non-participation on tour/program will not be refunded.
- Supplier reserves the right to make changes -when necessary- without prior notice.
- Minimum numbers apply. There is a possibility of cancellation after confirmation if there are not enough passengers to meet requirements. In the event of this occurring, customer will be offered an alternative or full refund.